Police are appealing for witnesses following an incident of criminal damage in Lowestoft.
It happened on Monday 23rd November at about 3.30pm when a car in Eastwood Avenue was damaged, when a man rode his bike in front of a car being driven, that was forced to break.
After stopping, the man made threats to the driver and caused damage to the car by hitting it with his bike’s handlebars.
A group of four other men, who were also on bikes were with the suspect.
The offender is described as being white, five foot eight inches tall, was about 19 years old and was wearing a black coat, a black baseball cap. He had blonde hair.
Anyone who witnessed the incident or know who was responsible should contact Lowestoft police by phoning 101.
The A143 at Earsham. Photo source: Google Maps
Police are appealing for witnesses who may have seen an elderly man on the A143 or nearby, who was involved in a fatal road traffic collision on the road in the early hours of Sunday morning (29th November) at Earsham, Bungay - and they would also like help to identify him.
Officers were called at 01.12am to reports of a collision between a lorry and pedestrian. Emergency services were on scene and, sadly, the man, estimated to be in his mid-70s, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Road closures were put in place while investigations were conducted and the road was cleared until late on Sunday morning.
The man is described as white, between 65 to 80 years of age, around 5ft 6 tall, bald with grey hair at the back and sides and of average build. He was wearing a navy blue fleece top with a JCB logo on the shoulder, grey trousers, dark grey/blue baseball cap with a small penguin motif and navy blue slippers with Velcro strapping.
Acting Inspector Michael Roxby said: "We would be grateful for anyone who may have seen the man on this stretch of road or in the local area in the early hours to get in touch. We would also encourage the public to check on elderly male relatives who live in this area and are similar in description."
Anyone who can help to identify the man or is a witness to the incident should contact Police by phoning 101 - or by contacting Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111
.A missing 22-year-old woman from Lowestoft has been found.
Chelsea Lance was reported missing to police last Thursday (26th November) but she was found safe and well in the Suffolk town on Friday afternoon (27th November).
Police would like to thank members of the public and media for their assistance with this appeal
People here in east Suffolk are being urged to take care when visiting the coast - after a child was seen playing at the base of cliffs at Pakefield.
These cliffs, along with the rest of the Suffolk coast, are some of the fastest eroding in western Europe and climbing on them or walking close to them can be extremely dangerous.
East Suffolk Council have recently been sent a photo from a concerned member of the public showing a man and young child standing at the foot of the cliffs at Pakefield.
Earlier this year, a campaign was launched by Coastal Partnership East in conjunction with HM Coastguard to remind people to stay safe on the coast, especially when walking near cliffs.
Cllr David Ritchie, East Suffolk’s cabinet member for Planning and Coastal Management said: “Over the past few months, Coastal Partnership East has received almost daily reports from concerned landowners, businesses and the community about people climbing on eroding cliffs, climbing on top of sea defences and ignoring signs warning of potential dangers.
“This is quite alarming; people are putting their lives, and the lives of their friends and families, in danger. Tragically, there has already been one fatality on the Suffolk coast in 2018 and we are extremely anxious for the community, both locally and visitors to our coast, to take care and help prevent another tragedy. We are urging people to stay away from the base and the tops of cliffs, even if they look stable.”
If you notice anything unusual or dangerous about cliffs or any coastal defences, please email email@example.com.
Photo: Lowestoft South Fire Station Twitter
Fire crews in east Suffolk attended a traffic accident on Thursday afternoon (26th November), when a car left the B1095 road, which runs between Blythburgh and Reydon.
At around 12.30, fire crews from Halesworth, Southwold, Wrentham and Lowestoft’s South station were called to the scene.
Fire crews worked alongside paramedics and air ambulance staff and released one casualty.
Suffolk Police are appealing for help in locating the owner of a gold ring found in Beccles.
The gold ring is described as a vintage saddle design and was found by officers from the Sentinel team in the town on Monday (23rd November).
Anyone who recognises the ring described or who has any information to assist is asked to contact PC Richard Sievers at Suffolk Police or by phoning 101 quoting.
Suffolk is preparing for ‘Tier Two - High Alert Level’ local restrictions, when the Government’s current lockdown ends on 2nd December.
The county’s latest Covid infection rates, local hotspots and pressure on hospitals are among the reasons why Suffolk will enter tier two.
Whilst Suffolk has so far seen comparatively lower levels of infection than elsewhere in the region and country, the current infection rate - 85 cases per 100,000 people - is more than double what it was when Suffolk entered tier one in mid October, when there were 35 cases per 100,000 people.
At the beginning of September, there were just 5 cases per 100,000 people. Parts of Suffolk are seeing much higher numbers of positive Covid cases than anticipated.
This all puts pressure on Suffolk’s hospitals which need to protect our vulnerable residents whilst still treating non-Covid patients. There were 116 Covid patients in Suffolk hospital beds as at 23rd November.
Public sector organisations in Suffolk have set out their goal to get the county out of local restrictions as quickly as possible. They have also moved to help residents, business owners and employees to understand the restrictions that will apply across the county, and the reasons for them.
Stuart Keeble, Suffolk’s director of public health, said: “I fully understand that many people will be disappointed that Suffolk has not emerged from the national restrictions in a lower tier, or indeed no tier at all. I am too. Suffolk has done well at keeping our infection rates lower than many other areas in the country, and for that, I would like to thank people for what they have done.
“The facts facing us today are clear however. With current infection rates and pressure being put in health services, we need to do more of what we have been doing. We need to stick with it.
“We know what we need to do to get Suffolk back on track. Every one of us needs to keep following the rules to stop the spread of Covid-19. We need to ensure our hospitals can continue to care for people who urgently need help, including those without COVID. We need to be responsible today for a better tomorrow.”
Rachel Kearton, Suffolk’s deputy chief constable and chair of the group of public sector organisations leading the fight against Covid-19 in the county, said:
“This week’s news about the success of Covid vaccine trials shows us clearly that there is light at the end of this tunnel, but there is still some way to go.
“Suffolk has been at the forefront of following Government guidance and it is precisely that which has kept infection rates relevantly low for so long.
“Now is not the time to give up and deviate from our course. Now is precisely the time to keep following the rules and stop the spread of Covid-19 so that we can get back to the social freedoms we miss so very much.”
From Wednesday 2nd December 2020, people in Suffolk will be able to:
Until the position changes, we will not be able to:
Everyone is encouraged to work from home and limit their journeys where possible.
A brand new and award winning documentary about the UK’s most easterly town is set to premiere online this week.
The film has been directed by teenager, Joshua Freemantle - and is the culmination of production work that started last summer.
After a lockdown-delay, the ‘world premiere’ went ahead in September at the East Coast Cinema in Lowestoft.
However, from Thursday this week - you can watch along virtually, on the 'Life of Lowestoft' YouTube channel at 7:15pm - or any time afterwards.
Picture: Suffolk County Council
After decades of anticipation, the building of Lowestoft’s third crossing named ‘Gull Wing’ - has been given its final green light by the Government.
Work on the bridge over Lake Lothing, is now due to start in spring next year - and open in summer 2023.
The Gull Wing project team at Suffolk County Council, received official confirmation that its full business case has been approved, releasing £73.39m of funding from the Department of Transport.
With this final milestone now reached, the contract with the building and civil engineering contractor will be signed. Other formalities such as formally acquiring land can also be completed, paving the way for construction work to start in the new year.
Councillor Matthew Hicks, leader of Suffolk County Council, said: “I’m delighted with the announcement from Government, which means that the Gull Wing is go.
“With this news, the final step in our application to build this bridge is now complete. We can now access the funding, sign the construction contract and start building the bridge.
“Any doubts are now over and we will get spades into the ground early in the new year to build Lowestoft’s third crossing.”
Peter Aldous, Member of Parliament for Waveney, said: “This news is extremely welcome and is a real positive boost for the residents of Lowestoft. I’d like to commend Suffolk County Council on their commitment to this project and to the town. The official processes are now complete and we will see construction start in the new year. Our skyline is about to change forever, for the better.”
Councillor Steve Gallant, leader of East Suffolk Council, added: “It’s great to hear that work on the Gull Wing can now begin. Lowestoft and the region should be proud of all the ambition and vision being developed to support local residents and businesses, from the town’s Masterplan to the flood defence works. The Gull Wing will be iconic and be a statement of intent for the future of the town.”
Archaeology surveys have already taken place on site and further preliminary groundwork will continue in the coming months, to allow construction work to begin in the spring of 2021. The Gull Wing is planned to open in the summer of 2023.
As the challenges brought on by the pandemic continue, a Suffolk theatre group has launched an online fundraising appeal this week.
The Lowestoft Players’ - ‘Relight My Fire’ campaign target hopes to raise £35,000, which would be used to replace its condemned heating boiler with an air source climate management system.
More than £8000 has already been pledged - and details of the campaign can be found on the Lowestoft Players Facebook pages.