Photo: Removal of Lowestoft Concourse Roof in 1992 Courtesy of Dave Pearce
There’s another chance to view a hugely popular railway exhibition which is returning to Lowestoft’s central station from this weekend.
‘Departures’ is an exhibition of over 70 images taken over the past five decades - and illustrates the evolving nature of the region's railways.
The ‘Departures’ exhibition is free to enter and features images taken across Suffolk and the wider region and will be open from 10am until 4pm on Saturday 3rd October and again from Wednesday 7th until Saturday 10th October.
A 24-year-old man has been arrested and charged in connection with a drug offence in Lowestoft.
Officers from the Operation Sentinel East team visited an address on Monday 28th September as part of an ongoing operation.
A search was carried out and five kilograms of cannabis was recovered.
Lewis Whitehouse, who is 24, of Pakefield Road, was arrested and later charged with possession with intent to supply Class B drugs.
Preparations for Lowestoft’s new ‘Gull Wing’ bridge have got underway, with an archae-o-logical survey.
Trenches are being dug at the site to find out if there are any archaeological remains relating to activity on the edge of Lake Lothing.
The council has said that by starting the dig now, it allows plenty of time to manage any possible discoveries.
This will mean that work on the construction of the bridge will still go ahead in the spring next year.
Police are appealing for witnesses and information following an assault in Beccles.
The incident occurred Saturday 5th September at around 9pm, when two men were involved in an altercation outside the King’s Head pub.
A man in his 20s was assaulted and suffered minor injuries to his lip. The suspect is described as a white man in his 40s, with short hair and grey stubble. He was wearing black shorts, a black top and a black cap.
Anyone with any information about this incident is asked to contact Suffolk Police.
Photo source: Google
The county's public sector leaders have met to agree collective action as part of Suffolk’s recovery from COVID-19 over the coming months.
The council has agreed in principle to an investment of £3.4 million towards supporting Suffolk’s communities and businesses - and they say that this should help addressing some of the challenges people currently face.
As part of the first phase in supporting Suffolk’s recovery, funding was agreed to support some of Suffolk’s immediate areas of focus. These include supporting the most vulnerable and community safety.
Police have issued an image of a man they would like to speak to following an incident in Lowestoft.
It was around 6.30pm on Sunday 20th September, when the incident occurred in the Water Lane area of the Suffolk town.
Officers would like to speak to the man as he may be able to help with the investigation - with the image attahed below. If you recognise the man, please contact Suffolk police.
Photo source: Google
18 employees have tested positive for COVID-19, after being tested at a turkey processing plant here in Suffolk.
Staff and their contacts, all working at the facility in Holton, near Halesworth, are now self-isolating at home and being supported by Bernard Matthews and public sector agencies.
Approximately 100 members of staff have been tested, with most returning negative results. Additional testing is now taking place and food production and safety is said to be unaffected by the cases identified.
It is understood that of the 18 employees who have tested positive, and who are now self-isolating, the majority live in the Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth areas.
A new Chairman has been elected for East Suffolk Council at its virtual Annual Meeting, which was held earlier this month.
Councillor Keith Robinson, who represents the Oulton Broad ward, will be Chairman for the remainder of the 2020/21 Municipal Year.
Brought up in Suffolk’s second largest town, Councillor Robinson is very much a Lowestoft man and has spent much of his working life as a mechanic, MOT tester and long-distance truck driver.
Police are appealing for witnesses following an incident of road-rage in Kessingland, which occurred shortly after 4.20pm on Wednesday 16th September.
It was on the northbound A12, just after the Romany Lane roundabout, between the drivers of a black Mercedes and a silver/grey Volkswagen Golf.
A confrontation between the two, led to the driver of the Mercedes falling against his own vehicle and cutting his head.
Anyone with information or who witnessed the incident is asked to contact Lowestoft Safer Neighbourhood Team.
UK Border Force and Immigration Enforcement, have confirmed that two men have been charged, following a ‘small boat people smuggling exercise’ in Southwold.
The men were arrested during the summer, after the Border Force targeted a yacht, as it sailed from the Netherlands towards the east coast of the UK.
When the sailing vessel moored at Southwold Harbour, Border Force officers boarded the yacht and found four people with ‘no leave to enter the UK’.